In many industries surfaces are being coated with cathodic dip (CDC) or powder coatings. Such paints provide the durability and anti-corrosion properties needed in manufacturing of cars or other surfaces facing outdoor climate.
However, certain areas of such parts need to be free of any coating to assure good welding or adhesion behavior, tight mechanical fit or a blank metal surface for electrical connections.
A common process to avoid coatings on these bond interfaces is to mask such areas before coating and remove the masking afterwards. This is a tremendous waste of resources, difficult to automate and environmentally questionable.
The use of laser paint stripping systems allows to coat the parts without masking and selectively remove the coatings on the bonding interfaces in a subsequent process.
- simple blanket coating without masking
- elimination of manual masking / demasking operation or expensive masking automation
- consumable free process – no tapes, no films
- combination with oxide removal or surface structuring for enhanced bonding performance
- Welding preparation e.g. in manufacturing of EV battery trays
- Decoating of bearing bushes e.g. in wheel manufacturing
- Ground connection terminals e.g. for cabinets or household goods
4JET offers a broad portfolio of solutions to perform laser paint stripping – ranging from our jobshop which allows stripping-as-a-service, handheld JETLASER cleaning systems and our line of SCANYWHERE systems for automated laser surface processing.